Weekly Blog #1


So far, Senior Project has been an unbelievable experience. After a long day of travel, Cat and I made it here last Tuesday. Getting right to work, we sat down for our online work with hopes that we would be able to get in the water soon. After about 15 hours of boring online learning we were able to get in our scuba gear and start learning the basics. What I most surprised about was how it felt to be breathing out of the regulator. Even though the air is incredibly dry, and the salt water doesn’t help, it feel so normal to be breathing underwater that I could just take out my regulator and everything would be fine. We were able to dive many reefs, a cave, a shipwreck, and even a dive at night, which have all been so unique and stunning in their own way. At this point I feel comfortable identifying many species that one could find in the Virgin Islands area such as, trunk fish, pufferfish, angle fish trigger fish file fish, barracuda, sea urchin, and many others. I have really enjoyed diving because it allows me to learn about a whole new side of our planet while it sits there right in front of me. After spending so much time on land, I really enjoy being in a completely new environment and starting from scratch with my learning. Everything has been going as planned, which is good. The only thing that really surprised me was the heat here, since I am not usually very comfortable in hot weather, but I have been adjusting, and it has gotten easier to fall asleep at night. After this week, I have learned so many skills that I will be able to use when I dive in other places in the future. Also, learning all the new species has taught me about the ecosystems here and how they are intertwined in each other, the same was that they would be on land. Next week I hope to do some more dives at new sites, and that I will learn more types of the coral that live here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Blog #2

29 April 2019

18 May 2019